18 December 2013

The Great Ocean Road: As seen in 36 hours.

When I boarded the plane in Portland a week ago bound for Melbourne, Australia, I never would've thought I'd kick this adventure off so perfectly with a road trip along the Great Ocean Road! The entire route is 151 miles of dramatic and breathtaking coast lines and small towns. This route was built by soldiers who returned from WWI to honor those who lost their lives during the war and is the largest war memorial in the world. 

I don't think I have the right vocabulary to paint the proper picture of just how majestic this stretch of land is. So hopefully my photos can communicate what my words cannot. This route pictured here was done only in 36 hours, but honestly I could dedicate a week (if not longer) to exploring the beaches, towns and little treasures off the beaten path that this stretch of land has to offer. For example, did you know that Victoria, Australia has it's own Californian Redwoods planted in 1939? Neither did I!

Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them. India and the wildlife of Africa have always been in my mind the most photogenic places I've ever been. The GOA has now joined the ranks. I can say with confidence that this will not be my last visit to the Great Ocean Road during my Working Holiday Visa and I can't wait to share what I come across next!


Road trippin' - You can't go on a road trip without writing something in the sand and then taking a picture of it. That would just be wrong. 


A little piece of the Best Coast found in Victoria, Australia. Small in comparison to the Redwoods in California, but mighty and enchanting all the same. 


It smells like home. Huge ferns surround these massive Redwoods and just beg you to keep walking deeper into the forest.  
 The Twelve Apostles dart out of the ocean to give one of the most breathtaking views you'll ever have the pleasure of seeing. So hurry and get here - only 8 of the 12 are still standing.
 Endless pockets of beaches are tucked all along the impressive coast line. No shortage of awe-struck moments. 
 My heart breaks a little every time I wear my Beth's Walk tank, but it also feels like a giant hug!  

 A striking contrast of colors. Enough Said.


Smile,
Court






5 comments:

  1. Amazing Courtney! So happy for you! These photos are breathtaking!!! I may be planning a visit soon :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post courtney! I can't wait to see more pics :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom would have been smiling and shaking her head as she read your words and looked at your pictures ( as I did). You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pictures Court! Keep writing biffers! You and your words are too special not to share. Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete